County Seat: Marshall, Michigan
To the right, the illustration gives the name and location in the county of Townships, City's and Village's.
Calhoun County is a county in the U.S. state of Michigan.
As of the 2010 census, the population was 136,146.
The county was established on October 19, 1829 and named after John C. Calhoun, who was at the time Vice President under Andrew Jackson, making it one of Michigan's Cabinet counties.
County government was first organized on March 6, 1833.
The county government operates the jail, maintains rural roads, operates the major local courts, keeps files of deeds and mortgages, maintains vital records, administers public health regulations, and participates with the state in the provision of welfare and other social services.
The county board of commissioners controls the budget but has only limited authority to make laws or ordinances. In Michigan, most local government functions — police and fire, building and zoning, tax assessment etc. — are the responsibility of individual cities and townships.
We recommend that you view the County website, it has load's of information that may be helpful.
click on the link,
Full List of County Commissioners
click on the link
A short history of the city's and village's of Calhoun County.
The city of Albion is in the Eastern part County, Interstate 94 and M-99 go thru and close to the city.
The population was 8,616 at the 2010 census. The earliest English-speaking settlers also referred to this area as The Forks, because it is situated at the confluence of the north and south branches of the Kalamazoo River. The Festival of the Forks has been held annually since 1967 to celebrate Albion's ethnic heritage. The first European-American settler, Tenney Peabody, arrived in 1833 along with his brother-in-law Charles Blanchard, and another young man named Clark Dowling. Peabody's family followed soon after. In 1835, the Albion Company, a land development company formed by Jesse Crowell, platted a village. Albion was selected for the name after the former residence of Jesse Crowell. Crowell was appointed in 1838 as the first US postmaster. Albion incorporated as a village in 1855 and as a city in 1885.
The village of Athens in the South West corner of County, The population was 1,024 at the 2010 census.
The village was settled in 1831. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.02 square miles, of which 1.01 square miles is land and 0.01 square miles is water. The Nottawa Creek, also known as the Nottawa River, flows through Athens with M-66 the main road. The K-12 Schools are among the best.
Burlington, is a village in Calhoun County, The population was 261 at the 2010 census. The village is located within Burlington Township on M-60. Burlington was platted in 1842 and incorporated as a village in 1869.
Battle Creek is a city in the Calhoun County, at the confluence of the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek rivers. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 52,347, In about 1774, the Potawatomi and the Ottawa Native American tribes formed a joint village near the future Battle Creek, Michigan.Battle Creek was named for a minor encounter on March 14, 1824, between a federal government land survey party led by Colonel John Mullett and two Potawatomi Indians, who had approached the survey camp asking for food. They were hungry because the Army was late in delivering the supplies promised them by the treaty of 1820. After a protracted discussion, the Native Americans allegedly tried to steal food. One of the surveyors grabbed his rifle and shot one of the Potawatomies, seriously wounding him. Following the encounter, the surveyors retreated to Detroit. Surveyors would not return to the area until June 1825, after Governor Lewis Cass had settled the issues with the Native Americans. Early white settlers called the nearby stream the Battle Creek River, and the town took its name from that.
Homer is a village is in South East part of the County, M-99 and M-60 come together in the village. The population was 1,668 at the 2010 census. Milton Barney arrived from Lyons, New York the summer of 1832 to scout the area and returned that September with his family and workmen to settle on the south bank of the Kalamazoo River. Soon after Barney hired Osha Wilder to layout the plat for the village of Barneyville. Milton Barney built a store, a sawmill, and a hotel. In 1834 when a post office was registered, Barneyville was renamed Homer after the village in Cortland County, New York, at the request of many of the residents who had moved from there. Homer was incorporated as a village in 1871.
Marshall is a city in The central part of the County, with a population of 7,088 at the 2010 census.
It is the county seat of Calhoun County. Marshall is best known for its cross-section of 19th- and early 20th-century architecture. It has been referred to by the keeper of the National Register of Historic Places as a "virtual textbook of 19th-Century American architecture." Its historic center is the Marshall Historic District, one of the nation's largest architecturally significant National Historic Landmark Districts. The Landmark has over 850 buildings, including the world-famous Honolulu House. The town was founded by Sidney Ketchum , a land surveyor who had been born in Clinton County, New York, in conjunction with his brother, George Ketchum . The Ketchum brothers explored central lower Michigan in 1830, and in late 1830 Sidney Ketchum obtained government grants for the land on which most of Marshall now stands. The early settlers named the community in honor of Chief Justice of the United States John Marshall from Virginia—whom they greatly dmired. This occurred five years before Marshall's death and thus was the first of dozens of communities and counties named for him.
Tekonsha is a village in Tekonsha Township, Calhoun County . The population was 717 at the 2010 census.
Tekonsha is the birthplace of Talbert Abrams, famous as the "Father of Aerial Photography.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.73 square miles of which 0.71 square miles is land and 0.02 square miles is water.